Tuesday, March 31, 2009

..Alcohol..

I believe that any one that drinks at all has been there at one time or another.... Usually resulting from being hurt by the opposite sex, we come up with and go out and make the grand gesture of deciding that we are going to wash that man or woman out of our mind and heart. I’ve been there, have you? I remember one particular night when I went out with a bunch of friends with the intention to chase my sorrows away. After a few drinks, I started crying my eyes and heart out over a man, who I thought I was going to spend the rest of my life with; that we have our issues which i think it cannot be resolved over time. I was devastated and completely confused. Needless to say my friends ended up having to walk me out and flopping me into the front seat. I was utterly unable to drive home.

My heart was unable to accept the breakup, what my head was true and i tried to drown my misery and pain away. Not very attractive to see a gal got sloshed in a pub, right? What was once a cheerful, happy-go-lucky, optimistic and independent gal...Someone who knows what she wants in life has turned into a less than a shadow of herself and in a self destruct mode! Between the events that were taking place making my numb and ease the sorrows away, my brain didn’t have the chance to think properly. By drowning your problems, pain, misery & sorrows will not make it go away. You might forget ridiculous things that happened, until you best buddy unfortunately will give you a nudge or remind you the very next day to face reality. Every time you drink it enhances the memories and by drinking you’re only compounding your problems that already existed. You can’t think clearly to allow the problem to be solved.

Alcohol, YES.. it makes you feel good and it is effective to make you feel better for a few hours. If you’re depressed or lacking or energy/enthusiasm/drive, it can be tempting to use alcohol to help you keep going and cope with life. The problem and which is my worry to EVERYONE (esp my close friends and buddies) is that you can easily slip into drinking regularly, using it like a medication. The benefits will soon wear off and drinking becomes a part of your routine. Then you start to notice that:
• You do not feel right without a drink, or need a drink to start the day
• You can drink a lot without getting drunk
• You have the tendency to drink more to get the same effect
• You try to stop but you can’t resist
• You carry on drinking even though it is interfering your work, family & friends

Alcohol is a depressant that affects the chemistry of the brain, increasing the risk of depression. I have came to my senses and would like to thank my friends.. you know who you are for being there when I needed most. Thank you!!! So, to make a long story short, if you are thinking of drinking to drive the blues away…think again!!! If you care and worried for someone that matters to you about their drinking habits, PLEASE tell them – they need to make changes as soon as possible. It is much easier to cut back before drinking problems damage your health than it is once they are out of hand.